Search This Blog

Friday, September 22, 2006

Old Dark Houses and Sheridan Le Fanu

Finished A Map of Glass and liked it very much. Will review it later when I have more time. Have been a bit overwhelmed lately and very tired.

Started The Wyvern Mystery by Le Fanu, but although it initially looked to be a fast-moving read, things have definitely slowed down. The Aussie's made the movie in 1999 and PBS has a version.

Old Dark Houses is an essay that discusses the "old dark house genre" to which the novel belongs. An excellent essay for lovers of Gothic that takes you from earlier "old dark house" versions to more current ones. I love the conclusion:

Even after some 150 years, you can still find mysteries that echo back to the days of Sheridan Le Fanu and The Wyvern Mystery. By now, though, you'd think young women would know enough to stay away from houses with names.

Some people never learn! Fortunately for those of us who enjoy the genre...

5 comments:

  1. A Map of Glass has been languishing in my TBR pile for a while. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wyvern Mystery does look good.. a few very positive reviews on Amazon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I really liked A Map of Glass and just posted my review.

    Angela, I'm still finding it less than riveting, but think I'll check out the Amazon reviews. Usually, I wait until after I've written my review before reading them, but maybe they'll give me something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have The Wyvern Mystery in my too read pile and have the movie in my Netflix queue. Don't know how soon I'll get to either though I want to. I've read some Le Fanu short stories in the past and really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carl, I'm still working on it, just with less enthusiasm at the moment. The "poor Alice," "poor little wife," "poor little Ally" phrases are working on me. :0

    I'm going to add the movie to my que as well for when I finish.

    ReplyDelete