Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Working my way through Carl's Challenge

Once Upon a Time Challenge
(* are the ones I really enjoyed)

*Mimus
*Off Armageddon Reef
*The Book of Lost Things
The Silent Tower
The Book with No Words
Evil Genius
The Amulet of Samarkand
*Spirit Gate
Summers at Castle Auburn
Coraline

These are the ones I've completed.

I don't know if The Road counts...it seems less science fiction than science future. I didn't review Coraline because I think I'm the only person who has read it that wasn't all that taken with it.

I'm reading another David Weber, On Basilisk Station (the first in the Honor Harrington series, and by the way, hate the cover) and enjoying it. Almost finished. Also reading Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) : Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts, a nonfiction ARC book that I am enjoying...although cringing at some of the absurd political examples with which we are all familiar. It answers the question, "What in the world was he/she thinking?" when we read another news article about political/celebrity foolishness. Although I've wondered why we don't do a better job of understanding other cultures when involved in diplomacy, the book reveals some of the difficulties.

Strangely, David Weber seems to have twigged on to the authors theories as many of his characters acknowledge their own attempts at self-justification.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this - I had somehow missed your post on The Book of Lost Things!

    Sorry you didn't like Coraline that much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you didn't like Coraline. It wasn't my favorite Gaiman, but I still loved it. Wow, you're flying through this challenge! You've read some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a second read to really "get" Coraline, so I can understand your hesitation to review it. Don't let it stop you though, if you really have strong feelings about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved Coraline. Also, read it twice. Once I listened to it on audio with my then 16-yr-old daughter. It's too bad you didn't enjoy it.

    You are really listing off the books read for this challenge. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too enjoyed Mimus though I hesitate at the word enjoyed. Let's say instead it gave me a perspective on court jesters that proved Danny Kaye's jester was a Hollywoodism ;)***CV

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read The Road, but from all I've heard it certainly seems to be sci-fi. After all sci-fi covers a lot of ground, from the slightly futuristic that often gets called "speculative", right through to the space opera types

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am sorry that you didn't enjoy Coraline. I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup o' tea. Its not my favorite Gaiman, but I still really really enjoy it. I'm looking forward to the movie on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quixotic - Yes, The Book of Lost Things was one of the winners. Mmmm, I hated not falling in love with Coraline.

    Chris - I knew I was going to love this challenge as I love good fantasy and science fiction, but had not read much in recent years.

    Marina - I thought some of the ideas were cool (especially, the "other mother"), but the story just didn't involve me much. Didn't hate it, but I wanted to love it.

    booklogged - Maybe I should read it again... :) Evidently several people have given it more than one read.

    chittavrtti - Jesters often had a miserable life, even if nothing like the one Mimus had. It would be an interesting thing to research, wouldn't it?

    Fence - Speculative is the right term. O.K., I'm including it in the challenge list. Thanks, Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How many books are you reading for the challenge? You are doing great! I've only finished one... I tend to procrastinate a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. You're really progressing on the challenge. I've too many books that I'm reading at the same time, so progress is snail-like, to say the least.

    Hope you have fun on all these reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. iliana - I'm not sure how many I'll end up reading since several of them were a part of a series. It's been like eating bon-bons, total self-indulgence!

    Orpheus - I'm down to only 3 books that I'm currently reading. Two of which I've been "reading" for a while now, only picking them up in between other books!

    ReplyDelete