Search This Blog

Saturday, December 06, 2008

The Grift

Ginsberg, Debra. The Grift.

6 words: Psychic counselor suddenly gets genuine visions.

I love the cover and the combination of grift (a swindle, a scam) with gift (in this case, psychic ability). Isn't that perfect for a novel about a psychic?

The book itself, however, I found disappointing. Marina's attitude toward her "clients" (well, even the clients themselves) became a source of irritation. The plot didn't hold together for me either. Started quite well, but I couldn't muster much concern for any of the characters, and by the time Marina actually develops a psychic ability...well, not even "seeing things" can move the novel out of anticlimactic mode.

Fiction. 2008. 329 pages.

8 comments:

  1. That's too bad! I'm looking forward to reading this; I really enjoyed Ginsberg's other novel, Blind Submission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a neat cover--it's too bad about the book itself though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, darn. I think I actually have an ARC of this one. Fortunately, it came from the library and I'm not obligated to review. I might at least give it a try, but probably not soon, now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine - I enjoyed Blind Submission, too. Didn't think it was great, but found it a fast read and decent mystery.

    LF - Oh, well. Maybe I should assign points for aspects like: title, cover, topic, etc. This one would rate quite well on those 3 items!

    bookfool - Do give it a try! We all have personal quirky reasons for liking or disliking books. This one may appeal to everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, what a bummer that this one didn't live up to your expectations. I've been eyeing this book as well because of the cover and title! Just looks so nice.

    I may still check it out though. I'll keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. iliana - Do try it! I'm often the only dissenter on certain books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. darn sorry to hear this is a disappointment. when I saw the cover and read your six words my interest was piqued. I'm always up for a GOOD read with psychics - don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. kimy - I love a bit of psychic drama, seers, telepaths, and all that stuff! This one didn't charm me, but I'm fond of the genre.

    ReplyDelete