Search This Blog

Sunday, July 05, 2009

Yoga for Body,m Breath, and Mind: A Guide to Personal Reintegration

Mohan, A. G. Yoga for Body, Breath, and Mind: A Guide to personal Reintegration.

This and Desikachar's Heart of Yoga are two of my favorite yoga books so far, and they have much in common as Desikachar is the son of Krishnamacharya and A.G. Mohan is one of his most famous students.

Chapter 1: Yoga and Personal Reintegration

Information on perception and misperception, the 5 states of mind, the gunas, obstacles to reintegration and some solutions, Kriya Yoga, the 8 Limbs of Yoga

Chapter 2: Asana--The Role of the Body in Personal Reintegration

The core principles of reintegration, listed and expanded upon. The principles of practice and sections on putting each principle in action.

"Asana should not simply be an external form into which you fit your body, but should arise from within you. What you see in the mirror is the form. What you feel is the function of the posture. Unity, not uniformity is the goal of yoga."

"The vast spectrum of body types and conditions assures that any partiular posture or movement not only will, but should, look different in every student."

Chapter 3: The Asanas

Classic and modified postures illustrated.

Chapter 4: Viparita Karani -- Inversion

Chapter 5: Vinyasa Krama--Sequencing and Adaptation

Chapter 6: Parnayama-- The Role of Breath

Inhalation, exhalation, retention, and suspension of breath and the relation between the components discussed. Methods of breathing listed and defined (ujjayi, sitali, nadi shodana, etc.). General Guidelines for pranayama practice; bandhas, use of sound.

Chapter 7: Meditation

Chapter 8: Yoga Therapy

I've highlighted so much in this book! The content is so similar to Desikachar's Heart of Yoga, but the language is very different. I always benefit from different explanations.

Nonfiction. Yoga. 1993. 211 pages.

2 comments:

  1. I like books about health and wellness and enjoy reading reviews on them. I have been practicing yoga since 2002. I love the calm it brings to me in stressful times, the flexibility, the meditative state, and it helps on my concentration when I focus on controlling my breaths and moving my body fluidly. I like the quote "Unity, not uniformity, is the goal of yoga." I haven't read this book, but it sounds like a good book to learn some more about the practice. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca - I love that quote. It is so simple and to the point.

    I too find yoga calming--good for body, spirit, and mind!

    ReplyDelete