Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

And so it goes

Our father, Laddie McDowell, died last week after a long struggle with Alzheimer's and other attendant health problems.  It was a release, and we can't regret his final easing from this world.  I wrote about it on Bayou Quilts and hope to have communicated a celebration of his life, rather than just a sense of grief.  Strange, though, the contradictory feeling of weight and absence the loss of a loved one creates.   Even when the loved one has been lost in a dreadful disease for several years....
------

I'm going to try to write reviews of all the books that have been piling up.  Yesterday, I managed one--so only about 9 more to get done.

11 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss Jenclair. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Jenclair. When someone has been sick a long time, we feel relief for both him and ourselves when he dies, but then the grief and sadness and feelings of deep loss begin. Somehow when that person is alive there is always the teeniest bit of hope that they will get better. I so love what you called him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenclair, please know that I am thinking of you at this sad time. I'm so sorry for your loss of your Dad, but you and I have talked about our parents and their health struggles for a long time now. Sigh. I'm sending hugs to you and know the bittersweet place that you likely find yourself. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to read this news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss Jenclair. Sending you many hugs and wishing you and yours a lot of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to comment. I appreciate all of the prayers and thoughts that have been extended to our family.

    Laddie was a good man, a great father and grandfather, and we will miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jenclair, I am so, so sorry. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a bit late but I wanted to say I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of your father.

    ReplyDelete