Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Reading Woman

Wonderful surprise in the mail from Debby of These Are Pieces, Too-- the 2011 Reading Woman Engagement Calendar!

Here is an excerpt from the introduction:

THE READING WOMAN is a celebration of all women who love to read. Whether it's at the close of day or just at the close of a door. Whether it's reading aloud to friends around the fire or suspended, mind and body, in a hammock.  Poems or potboilers, fact or fancy, it's the pleasure women find in reading that is presented here.
 It is full of lovely paintings of women reading and quotes about reading like this one (one of my all time favorites) by Lady Mary Wortley Montagu:

  "No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting."

Thank you, thank you, Debby, for thinking of me when you saw this and for sending me such a lovely gift that can be appreciated in so many ways!  (cross posted from Bayou Quilts)

4 comments:

  1. I love the Reading Woman line of calendars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of those calendars before -- they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend gave me a Reading Woman journal years ago. I still have it and enjoy the paintings and quotations, as well as my own reviews of books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, Dorothy, Annie Joy -- I wish I had all of them! I love the paintings of women reading and the quotes are terrific!

    ReplyDelete