Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

The Mysterious Benedict Society is a book for young readers at the upper elementary to middle school levels.  It offers some unusual and endearing characters, suspense, and a criminal mastermind.


Reynie Muldoon lives in an orphanage  when he sees an add in the paper reading, "Are you a gifted child looking for Special Opportunities?"  Reynie has never really fit in at the orphanage and decides to show up for the exams.  The exams are certainly unusual, but finally Reynie and three other children are the only ones who have made it through all of the exams.


Reynie, Kate Weatherhill, Sticky Washington, and Constance Contraire are introduced to the unusual Mr. Benedict who informs them that, if they choose, they may take part in an important and dangerous mission to save the world.  The four all agree to the challenge, form The Mysterious Benedict Society, and prepare to infiltrate The Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened.


Our heroes must employ the unique skills they possess and must work together to defeat the insidious Mr. Curtain who plans to take over the world.


An excellent book for the target age group, The Mysterious Benedict Society would be a great read aloud book for both parents and children.  It provides good fun and adventure, and there are more:  The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey and The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma.


Other Reviews:  Framed and Booked, Remarkable Reads, Madigan Reads


Fiction.  Adventure.  2007.  486 pages.

4 comments:

  1. I remember the children's librarian at my former workplace suggested I read this one. I never got around to it. Putting it on my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay - This is one that I'd love to read with my granddaughter, Mila. I think kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this ages ago and have never been inspired to read on in the series...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kailan - This is definitely a children's book (although quite a long one), and my major thought as I read was that it would be exciting for my granddaughter. I think I might try another one--if I can find one at the library.

    ReplyDelete