Search This Blog

Monday, March 18, 2013

The Ruling Sea by Robert V.S. Redick

The Ruling Sea, from Net Galley and Random House-Del Rey Spectra, continues the saga Redick began in The Red Wolf Conspiracy.

Pazel, Thasha, Hercol, Neeps, Feldthrup and others continue their fight to stop the wicked mage Arunis from accomplishing his goal.  Arunis is not the groups only antagonist, however, and so the group must fight on several fronts and overcome obstacle after obstacle.

I enjoyed this book as well, but must mention a couple of points:

- the transition from Book 1 to Book 2 is rough.  I had just finished The Red Wolf Conspiracy and still found the opening of The Ruling Sea a bit difficult to follow.  It wasn't that I'd forgotten any characters or plot elements, I simply didn't follow the transition very well.

-the Hercol and Dri subplot did not appeal at all

I have no problem with the length of the books or with the number of characters, and I continue to follow their adventures with interest.  I'm currently reading River of Shadows, the third in the series.  I found the same problem with transition from book to book, but once past that was engaged again.

As I mentioned in the review of The Red Wolf Conspiracy, the characters are engaging and the plot chock full of adventure.

I finished this book about two weeks ago, and since then have finished the last two in the series and will review them soon.

Fantasy.  2010.  print version 672 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment