Search This Blog

Friday, April 26, 2013

The ALA Shortlist

The ALA shortlist has The Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: the Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis listed in the nonfiction category.  I read and reviewed this one, and I'm delighted to see it made the short list!



I have not read any of the other listings in either the fiction or nonfiction categories, but Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic sounds both fascinating and frightening in the nonfiction.


Fiction
This is How You Lose Her - Junot Diaz
The Round House - Louise Erdrich
Canada - Richard Ford

Nonfiction
 The Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher - Timothy Egan
The Mansion of Happiness:  The History of Life and Death - Jill Lepore
Spillover - David Quammen

Have you read any of these?

-----
The rain has continued to interfere with work in our garden in the country.  As soon as things begin to dry out, it rains again.  Last weekend, was nothing but mowing and weeding and mulching.  I didn't even go down during the week.

I was all packed and ready to go down this morning, but predictions of rain, high winds, and possible hail are making me hesitate.  As I wait, undecided, my latest issue of Organic Gardening is keeping me occupied.
--------
This is the first year since its inception that I've failed to join in on Carl's Once Upon a Time Challenge.  Although I always read plenty of books for the challenge, I was never very good about keeping up with posting on the site.  This year, while still reading plenty of fantasy, I just didn't get around to signing up.

I've had good luck with many of Net Galley's offerings this year.  Of course, there have been some mediocre reads, some duds, and some DNFs, but some have been really, really good.  A great way to keep up with what is being published and, of course, I love free books...even ebooks.

Slowly, I'm still making my way through Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, one of my purchased items because I wanted a book that I could lay my hands on, highlight, and use for reference.  It is more political than I expected, but in ways that are of concern to me, especially concerning the abhorrence of GMOs and CAFOs (concentrated animal feeding operations), and my interest in environmentally responsible food and sustainability.  Some good recipes, too.

From Rodale:  7 Things You Should Know About GMOs.
Recent information about Roundup.
New genetically modified wheat and potential effects.

Mostly, though, I devour mysteries, police procedural, science fiction, and fantasy.  Finishing about a book a day since my gardening efforts are being thwarted by rain.  I read an ebook whole, than nibble at Kingsolver's nonfiction, then another escapist read, then back to the nonfiction.

Looking at the threatening sky and frustrated that the plants I bought yesterday will have to wait, I'm wondering whether to read or watch episodes of IRIS II on Drama Fever while I pout.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the weather clears up for you soon, Jenclair, so you can spend time in your country garden!

    I seem to be reading a lot of mysteries and fantasy too. What's new, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't complain too much as our area has a severe drought for the last few years, and the rain has been good for the garden.

    Don't we love our escape literature!

    ReplyDelete