Search This Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2013

In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist by Ruchama King Feurman

In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist is one of my favorite books so far this year.  Beautifully written with a story that slowly unfolds and reveals wonderful characters who will stay with you for a long time.

The characters are so richly portrayed that I fell in to the story at once.  This is a novel of individuals, of relationships, of prejudice, of insight and of reflection, of wisdom and understanding.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is one of my favorite books this year, and I've hated having to wait until closer to publication to review it.  On the other hand, I've had a difficult time trying to decide how to review this novel.

This quote does a good job of summarizing it for me:


"Her characters jump off the page and into the hearts of her audience
….charming, spiritual tale." — Library Journal 


I don't think I can say it any better.

NetGalley/NYRB LIT

Literary fiction.  Sept. 17, 2013.   

2 comments: