Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb

Fool's Assassin    

I've loved every previous book in Robin Hobb's series, but...I'm not so sure about this one.  

Fitz didn't seem quite like Fitz to me.  He isn't really on the ball and allows a guest to sit waiting for him until it is too late, is surprisingly unobservant when uninvited "musicians" show up for festivities, and throughout the book, just doesn't seem alert enough.

Molly's pregnancy is a bit weird.  A bit?  No, really weird. And the Fool?   I just don't like the turn this has taken.   

Do I sound like a discombobulated fan-girl?   Am I one of those misguided individuals who wants the story to follow her own demands?  Yes.  I want the same feelings I had with the previous trilogies.  So don't tell me  I need to be flexible and open to new concepts--I've tried and am still disturbed. (I have to admit that the death of Nighteyes (Fool's Fate, 2004 ) is a grief from which I've not yet fully recovered and may give a clue to my investment.)

Years ago, I started with The Liveship trilogy, then The Farseer trilogy, then The Tawny Man trilogy, and a couple in The Rainwild Chronicles.  I was so excited about more adventures with Fitz and the Fool; I wish I'd liked it better.

Will I read the next in this new trilogy?  Of course.  And I hope I will find some sense of familiarity that I didn't find in Fool's Assassin. 

The few reviews I've seen so far seem quite happy with the book.  I may be the only one who is less than pleased with the new path the series has taken.  I can't really review it without spoilers, either.  

Read in April; blog review scheduled for  Aug. 6.


Fantasy.  Aug. 12, 2014.  Print version:  688 pages.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this book is a disappointment to you. Let's hope the next book will be better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet read anything by Robin Hobb. At one time, I was so excited and anxious to give her a try--then my husband read one of her books and hated it. It kind of killed my enthusiasm to read the books even though everyone else I know loves them. I know better, I really do. He doesn't always like what I like and I know that. For some reason though, I let his opinion get to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame you didn't love this book as much as others in the series. :-( I may give this series a try. BTW, I love the cover art on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melody - I'm sure there are others who really love this one, but I was disappointed.

    Wendy - I wasn't crazy about the Rainwild Chronicles and didn't read the third in that series, and there was another one--The Soldier's Son trilogy that I didn't even finish the first book. I loved the other ones, though, especially The Farseer Trilogy.

    Irene - If you try these, read The Assassin's Apprentice, the first in the Farseer Trilogy!

    ReplyDelete