Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot by David Shafer

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot 

First, I must make clear that my first impression was not my last.  I picked the book up, read a little, put it down, read something else--several times.  The beginning was a slow bit of background about each of the three main characters, and I was almost ready to give up and call it a DNF.

Second, I'm so glad I didn't give up because about 100 pages in, I was hooked.  It is an imaginative and far-fetched tale that sounds very futuristic, yet...despite the fictional aspects, there is always our knowledge of how vulnerable institutions and individuals are in this cyber age. We all have questions about how much power we accede to the digital world even as we have learned to rely on all the benefits that same world offers us.

I know the lengthy character exposition at the beginning plays a role, but I do wish it had been a little less lengthy.  Yet, as the plot began to take off, I became attached to Leila, Leo, and Mark (OK, not so much to Mark).  

The book has a great conspiracy angle and provides a cautionary tale concerning how much information we reveal personally, as well as what our purchases, health providers, banks and other institutions reveal about our lives.

One of those unusual books that people love or hate (note the 5 star vs 1 star reviews with little in between).  I ended up being on more middle ground, but toward the higher end.  It was a near miss, because I truly considered abandoning the book before the story took off for me.  Glad I saw it through.

The conclusion isn't conclusive, so I expect there will be a follow-up to this one.  I will greedily consume the next one.

One of Time Magazine's Ten Best Books of 2014

Selected by NPR, Slate, and Kirkus as one of the Best Books of 2014

Shortlisted for the Pacific Northwest Book Award

Library copy.

Techno-thriller (?).  Aug., 2014.  432 pages.

10 comments:

  1. I've seen this around but it never caught my attention, until your review. I'm glad you persisted, Jenclair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed on this one when it was offered by NetGalley, but when I saw it on the library shelf, I picked it up and decided to give it a try. :) I'm glad I didn't give up on it too soon, because I ended up totally involved!

      Delete
  2. Like Melody, I have seen this one around, but admit to dismissing it each time. It sounds like it might be a worthwhile read though, especially if you give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blurb about 30-somethings didn't appeal to me, but I'm glad I found it at the library and gave it a try!

      Delete
  3. Interesting comments, Jenclair. I don't know this book but you've made me curious enough to take a look at it if I run across it in the library or at a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Individuals, institutions, government, military--here and in every country--are all vulnerable in ways we can scarcely imagine. Even if the book is looking at a scenario that in some ways seems far-fetched, who would have believed a few decades ago just how much information would end up online? A suspenseful look at the power of information.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm, my husband works in cyber security for his company and might enjoy this! I might even give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the beginning sections slow, but once I got about 100 pages in, the suspense started to build!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not seen or heard of this one. I don't mind slow burners although they're not for everyone which may account for the extreme ratings. Some people stop reading at 20/30 pages - I pretty much always go to 100 before I really get fed up!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) "Slow burner" is a good way to describe the first portion of this one. When it really got going, though, it kept my attention quite well.

      Delete