Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Three Interesting New Titles!


Where Memories Lie by Sibel Hodge.  

Olivia's best friend Katie disappeared twenty-five years ago, leaving behind a bitter note.  One day, Olivia sees a woman who reminds her of Katie, stirring up memories and questions.  Why did Katie leave?  Why has she never gotten in touch?

Then her father-in-law, a gentle and loving man with Alzheimer's, mentions killing a woman named Georgia, an accident, and the need to protect his family.  Had he made the comment to anyone else, the remark would have been attributed to the delusions AD sufferers often have.  Olivia, however, questions her husband and her brother-in-law and sister-in-law.  They have never heard of a woman named Georgia and find the idea of their gentle father killing anyone ludicrous.

A case of "curiosity killed the cat," Olivia's investigation eventually leads in other directions--to conclusions that can tear a family apart.

The title makes an interesting play on words:  do memories lie in the past or the present?  and are memories lies or truth.  

I really want to make some opinionated comments about this book, but to do so would be revealing too much about the characters and plot.  I wish I had someone with whom to discuss elements of this one.  Tense situations all around--with ethical implications that beg some discussion.

NetGalley/Thomas & Mercer (I notice that it is also free on Kindle Unlimited)

Mystery/Suspense/Psychological.  Sept. 22, 2015.  Print length:  303 pages.
------

The Faithful by S.M. Freeman

Kidnapped children with psychic abilities, a weird sect with "end times" goals and eugenic objectives, a dedicated FBI agent haunted by the case of a missing child from early in his career and currently pursuing the cases of other missing children, conspiracies, and more.

The shifts in perspectives are initially a little confusing, but eventually the different characters become compelling and the plot gains clarity.  One character eventually adds a touch of comic relief to this pre-apocalyptic tale. 

Suspend your disbelief and enjoy the journey.

First is a series

NetGalley/Thomas & Mercer (another one free on Kindle Unlimited)

Suspense/Paranormal.  2014; Sept. 29, 2015.  Print length:  365 pages.
-----------
The Adventuress by Tasha Alexander

If you have enjoyed Alexander's Lady Emily series, you will like this latest addition.  I liked the first 3 books in the series, and then read a couple that didn't excite me as much, but Lady Emily is in fine form in this tenth installment.  (I stopped reading after the 5th one, so I need to do some catching up.)

An engagement party on the French Riviera for Emily's childhood friend Jeremy has a mixed group of old friends and new American acquaintances thrown together.  Emily tries to like Amity Wells, Jeremy's intended, but finds herself alternately sympathetic and annoyed with Amity's behavior.  Is part of the problem an unacknowledged jealousy that Emily will be losing a long-time admirer to  his new love?

When the suicide of one of Jeremy's best friends disrupts and dismays the gathering, what was intended to be a celebration quickly descends into something else entirely. Nerves and tempers are on edge.

I fixed the murderer in my sights.  Then changed my mind.  Then changed it again.  Alexander kept me consistently questioning the situation and the suspects (because, of course, it wasn't a suicide).

Love the setting and the historical elements.  Had to do a little research concerning the man in the iron mask because I was only familiar with the fictitious accounts--such a bizarre historical footnote; one of those real mysteries that will never be solved.  

Anyway, The Adventuress has  a compelling plot, interesting characters, and provides a diverting virtual vacation to the South of France. 

NetGalley/St. Martin's Press

Historical Mystery.  Oct. 13, 2015.  Print length:  304 pages.  

----  I'm leaving this morning for a short trip to New Orleans.  Amelia has a conference to attend, and I volunteered to keep her company.  She welcomed idea!  Since Chris couldn't go and B.E. has to go to school, she seemed to be happy with her old mother coming along.  French Quarter, Cafe du Monde, and beignets!

I have reviews scheduled through next January, so no problem there, but boy, do I have some good ones to catch up on.  Brenda Chapman's new Stonechild and Roleau mystery Tumbled Graves is great, and so is Kate Morton's The Lake House, and Val McDermid's Splinter the Silence, a new Tony Hill and Carole Jordan installment! 

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy your trip, Jenclair! Cafe du Monde! It's been years since we've been to New Orleans. Our daughter and son-in-law love it and I think they are going again at the end of September.

    I'm behind on the Tasha Alexander books too. I'll have to check and see where I left off. That cover is a little strange or maybe it's her hat. It looks like a turban or something. And I'd love to discuss the first book with you, but it's not available yet. I could go look on Netgalley, but I'm trying not to get anything from there. I'll put it on my wish list and hope to remember it is there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never made it to Cafe du Monde, but I think I've put on 5 lbs just from the wonderful food! Just got back this afternoon and am so tired, but it was a great trip.

      :) Even with all the great books I get from NetGalley, I still find myself spending money on books! The Tasha Alexander renewed my interest in the series, but I agree her hat is...very turban-like. Turbans were popular during the early 1800's. I remember a portrait of Lord Byron wearing one. There is a great Pinterest site with Regency period hats and turbans weren't the only wild and flamboyant style! self portrait by the artist Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun wearing a turban.

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to catch up on the Tasha Alexander books, too, although I no longer care if I read them in order. I just pick the one whose plot sounds the best. I just finished The Counterfeit Heiress and thought it was pretty good...not as good as Alexander's first novels, but still enjoyable. I hope you have fun in New Orleans! What a great time of year to take a trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm going to see what is available at the library for Tasha Alexander's series, and I'll take whatever I can get!

      It was a wonderful time to go because it was so much cooler than normal for N.O. in August. I'm exhausted, but it was such fun to visit N.O. and my friends Suzie and Bobby.

      Delete
  3. Ohh, all the books sound good!
    I hope you've a wonderful trip in New Orleans! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy this varied selection of books. And thanks, the N.O. trip was great!

      Delete
  4. You've got me curious about Where Memories Lie and just what your strong opinions are. I may have to read it just so you can tell me. :-) The Adventuress sounds like a fun read. I haven't read anything by Tasha Alexandra, at least not that I can remember.

    Have a wonderful time in New Orleans, Jenclair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you will read Where Memories Lie, so I give the spoilers! You would enjoy the Lady Emily series, Wendy!

      Delete