Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

July Library Books


Redemption Road by John Hart has lots of good reviews, a high body count, a whole bunch of story lines (that unite, of course), hard to fathom motivations for most of the behavior, torture, dysfunctional families, AND MORE!   

I read the whole thing, sad to say, and only liked one character, a very minor one, and mostly because of his name:  Crybaby Faircloth Jones.

Library copy.

Crime.  2016.  433 pages.








Unwanted is the first in the Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht series by Kristina Ohlsson.  I started this series with The Chosen, a NetGalley offering and the fifth in the series.  I liked it enough to want to read more.  

Unwanted, the first book, introduces the three main characters on the detective squad-- Fredrika, Alex, and Peder-- and provides a good sense of who they are and how each one contributes to the investigation.  If one of the three dominates, it is Fredrika, the lone female member of the team, but the roles of all three are important.  Unwanted is well-written and suspenseful, but just to warn you, the plot involves a character who abducts and murders children.  There are no graphic details and the author handles this well.

If you enjoy Scandinavian Crime, you might enjoy this series.

Library copy.

Crime/Police Procedural.  2009.  363 pages.


Silenced is the second in the Fedrika Bergman and Alex Recht series by Ohlsson.  The new case involves what appears to be a murder/suicide.  The investigation into the deaths of the couple lead to a much more involved situation than initially suspected.  I liked most of the book even better than Unwanted because the character development continued in interesting ways.  I was a little disappointed by the conclusion, however.

I will be getting the third in the series next time I go to the library.  :)

Library copy.

Crime/Police Procedural.  2010.  342 pages.


14 comments:

  1. Crybaby Faircloth Jones is a cool name. :-) I have a copy of Redemption Road but haven't read it. I really enjoyed The Last Child.

    I am not sure about Unwanted--more so because of the subject matter than anything else. I am glad you are enjoying the series though. I do like Scandinavian crime fiction.

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may enjoy RR more than I did--many people have liked it. Kristina Ohlsson's series is really good, and I picked up the next in the series on Monday's library visit! :)

      Delete
  2. I've had pretty good luck with John Hart books since discovering him a couple of years ago via a review copy. Sorry to hear that this one didn't work for you; it's not one I've read or am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much torture, too many bodies for me. I may try The Last Child, by Hart as it has gotten good reviews.

      Delete
  3. Redemption Road covers lots of issues in there; it's a dark book and my reading experience was like riding on a roller coaster. I heard The Last Child is good, so I intend to read that in the near future.

    I'm not familiar with Kristina's books so I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a dark book, but I did love Crybaby. I think he should have his own book. I've really enjoyed the books in Kristina Ohlsson's series.

      Delete
  4. I liked Unwanted to and want to read more of the series, especially Disappeared. I just have to finish my current stack of library books first. :) And Crybaby Faircloth Jones is a great name! Though I think I'll skip reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started Ohlsson's series with the most recent book, and after reading the first two in the series, I plan on reading the entire series. She's good, isn't she?

      Delete
  5. Looks like you are being smart and reading, hopefully in a cool location, to avoid this heat and humidity. I may pass on these, but thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too hot to do much outside these days, Teresa! Staying cool with a stack of books is always a good answer. :)

      Delete
  6. Great library finds! I do want to read more by Kristina Ohlsson so I'm glad to hear that even though you started in the middle of the series it is worth it to go back. Gotta love Crybaby Faircloth Jones - how can you forget a character with that name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heavens for libraries! What would we do without them? I love it when a NetGalley book leads to a new-to-me series!

      Delete
  7. I add so many books to my wish list because of you and wonder how many I actually get around to reading... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I have the same problem--so many books on the list and only so much time available to read them all!

      Delete