Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Walking the Bones and The Liar in the Library

My first exposure to Randall Silvis was Two Days Gone, and Walking the Bones picks up the story of Ryan DeMarco as he is still recovering from the death of his friend.  

Walking the Bones begins as a road trip instigated by his girlfriend Jayme, but the cold case of seven young women drags him (kicking and screaming) into investigating who killed the young women and stacked them behind a hidden wall in a church.  

The book was simultaneously interesting and slow.  For me, the most interesting characters were the three elderly "detectives" who involve DeMarco in the case and are treated rather disdainfully.  

The two books featuring Ryan DeMarco are markedly different from Silvis' Blood and Ink, a dark comedy.  All three of the books I've read by Silvis feature his love of literature and skillful descriptions, but my favorite is Blood and Ink with the hapless protagonist, Nick.

Read in Oct.;  blog review scheduled for Jan. 4, 2018.

NetGalley/Sourcebooks

Crime/Mystery.  Jan. 23, 2018.  Print length: 464 pages.


I read several of the first Fethering mysteries years ago, but have not kept up with this cozy series.  

When Jude knew Burton St. Clair twenty years ago, he was plain Al and a bit of a womanizer, now he is a well known author with a more sophisticated version of his name.  

Invited to speak at the Fethering library, St. Clair has changed little, except that he now has a more towering ego than ever.  He offers Jude a ride home, makes an advance, is repulsed, and Jude walks home.

St. Clair, however, never leaves the car, and the next day, Jude finds herself suspected of murder.

I fear the most interesting element in this mystery (for me) concerned the challenges British libraries have been facing in recent years.  

Read in Sept.; blog review scheduled for Jan. 4, 2018.

NetGalley/Severn House

Cozy Mystery.  Jan. 1, 2018.  Print length:  192 pages.

8 comments:

  1. I might read the Brett book to hear about the challenges British libraries are facing. When I met Ann Cleeves at a mystery conference, she talked about her quest to help libraries. It's a passion for her. Think I might have read some Brett books a long time ago, but they had a woman protagonists - a widow of a crook or something like that. Can't recall the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember enjoying the first several Fethering mysteries years ago and liking the two oddly matched protagonists of Carol and Jude. Carol doesn't feature as much in this one, and I wasn't that engaged with this one. I'm afraid U.S. libraries may soon be facing some of the problems that the UK faces. One place I've never minded paying taxes for--excellent local libraries.

      Delete
  2. I was a bit frustrated with the first Randall Silvis book and I'm not sure that the next books would make me like his protagonist any more. Now the Simon Brett sounds like a cozy I might enjoy more especially with that setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the first of Two Days Gone because of the beautiful writing, but didn't care for the conclusion. I did really enjoy the humor and absurdity in Blood & Ink, which was completely different. I did appreciate reading about the problems of the libraries in England, and I hope it will let us know the value of maintaining our own library system.

      Delete
  3. I often find that I'm less interested in the actual mystery in some books than in the setting or the characters or the surrounding happenings. Like British libraries. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The mystery in The Liar in the Library wasn't that appealing to me, but I liked the information about the deterioration of support for public libraries. A warning of sorts....

      Delete
  4. The Liar in the Library certainly calls out to me due to that title and the attracting cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title and cover called out to me as well since I've always been such a strong supporter of our local library. People who read a lot can't afford to buy all the books we read. It has always made me grateful to have the opportunity to read for free. Books are expensive and even storing them can be a problem, so long live the public library system and fund them well!

      Delete